Gilead Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
Fighting Hunger & Supporting Heating Assistance
The Hunger/ Heating Subcommittee seeks to support individuals in need of food or heating assistance.
- Operation Warm Hebron - Ice skating event held at the Bolton Ice Palace with proceeds supporting the heating assistance programs of Hebron Interfaith Human Services and the Russell Mercier Senior Center
- $4 a Day Challenge/ Food Drives - Food, pet and personal care supply drives are held throughout the year for our local food bank, Hebron Interfaith Human Services.
- Crop Walk - Members and youth walk for pledges which support Church World Services, Hebron Interfaith Human Services and the Covenant Soup Kitchen.
Disadvantaged & Impoverished Children
The Children’s Subcommittee seeks to support children in our local community and region who are disadvantaged or in need.
- Backpack Blessings Program - Backpacks filled with school supplies and healthy snacks given to children in need through our local food bank, Hebron Interfaith Human Services.
- Operation Military Kids - Quilts, pillows, teddy bears and our letters for children in our community whose parents are deployed.
- Hebron's Got Talent! - Local talent show with proceeds that support local children's scholarships through AHM Youth & Family Services and Hebron Parks & Recreation Program
- Community Mental Health Fund - Creation of a mental health fund in collaboration with AHM Youth & Family Services and local communities of faith. The fund supports children and families in accessing mental health services including medication, therapy, treatment and/or evaluations in the communities of Andover, Hebron, Marlborough and Columbia. We also seek to de-stigmatize mental illness with our "Mental Health Matters!" campaign.
Board of Missions - Vision Statement
The Board of Missions seeks to share and demonstrate God’s love through service by caring for one another in times of crisis and need, and also among our wider community and world. We look to Matthew 25:40 “Truly I tell you, just as you have done it unto one of the least of these, you have done it unto me.”
Currently our Board of Mission has four areas of focus for our efforts. Subcommittees of the Board of Missions work in each of the following areas, not including Gilead Helping Hands, which is listed separately under the heading of "Missions".
Individuals Affected by Cancer
The Cancer Subcommittee seeks to support those affected by cancer, whether it be the individual directly or their family and caretakers.
- Relay for Life, American Cancer Society
- Pennies for Patients, Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- Treasures for Ian, Connecticut Children's Medical Center
- Light the Night Walk, Leukemia & Lymphoma Society